Rosita Ratfish Liver Oil
- 100% Ratfish liver oil from the Helgeland fjords of Norway.
- Wild-caught, handcrafted, minimally processed and raw.
- With a concentration alkylglycerols of up to 33%, it beats that of shark liver oil, according to independent lab tests.*
- Contains natural vitamin A and vitamin D. Vitamin A is in the active, retinol form and the vitamin D is D3, the most bioavailable, cholecalciferol form.* Contains the powerful antioxidant, alpha-tocopherol, or vitamin E, in the most biologically and chemically active form.* Has up to 54 mg/g of omega-3 fatty acids, 24.4 mg/g EPA and 15.7 mg/g of DHA. Contains a full spectrum of healthy fats, including phytosterols, and multiple forms of omega 4, 6, 7, 9, and 11 fatty acids. Never heated above room temperature nor treated with chemicals, bleaches or deodorizers.
- Free of any additives.
- Mild, buttery taste – less fishy than cod liver oil.
- Highly resistant to oxidation and rancidity.
Ratfish Oil: A unique nutritional powerhouse from the pristine Northern Fjords
Deep in the northern waters a rare fish thrives – the ratfish or rabbitfish. Some fishermen throw it away when they find it in their nets. But people knowledgeable about the old Nordic ways treasure this strange fish when they catch one.
The liver of the ratfish yields a special oil that:
- Has vitamins, healthy fats and unique compounds that support your immune system, your heart . . . your entire body!
- Was used by the ancient Vikings for respiratory, lymphatic and digestive health. They also used it topically and to keep their immune system strong overall.*
Ratfish Oil can have a concentration of 33% alkylglycerols – much more than shark liver oil!
You may have heard about shark liver oil. Scandinavian folk healers and modern researchers attribute sharks' ability to maintain amazing health to the oil in their livers. Two clinical studies and close to a score of animal and lab studies confirm this. What's more, shark liver oil's components have been proven to help keep your immune system strong and manage healthy cellular reproduction throughout.
Now what does this have to do with ratfish oil?
Researchers conclude that much of shark liver oil's health-sustaining power comes from the alkylglycerols in it. Alkylglycerols are also found in bone marrow, the spleen, human milk and colostrum… and in ratfish livers.
With a concentration of 33% or more alkylglycerols, ratfish liver oil seems to have one of the highest concentrations of this special substance! When researchers at the Institute of Aquaculture at the University of Stirling in Scotland saw these results, they were stunned. They stated these very high levels were "unusual for fish oil".1
Just a few drops of this mild, buttery oil from the ratfish livers can bring significant healthy results, including increasing your body's production of all red blood cells;* and spurring your body to produce cytokines, special immune messenger chemicals that are linked to curbing inflammation and keeping your tissue healthy as it replaces old cells.*
But while researchers are intrigued by alkylglycerols impact on keeping us healthy, that's not the only standout benefit from ratfish oil…
Ratfish Liver Oil contains Alpha-Tocopherols, the active form of vitamin E
Ratfish livers contain vitamin E, your body's most abundant fat-soluble antioxidant.
You may know how important antioxidants are for your health . . . but vitamin E is a particularly important one, because it specializes in protecting the fats in your body from free radical damage.*
Shockingly, as much as 90% of Americans are deficient in this critical antioxidant.2 And that can take a toll on the body.
Because it works with fats, vitamin E does something many antioxidants can't – it nestles into the fat of your cells' membranes and keeps them from oxidizing. Without vitamin E's protection, the cells in your body could not thrive and serve you the way they do.
As you can see, vitamin E's antioxidant protection works throughout your body. But some parts of your body benefit in particular from vitamin E . . .
- Vitamin E may help keep your eyes healthy, particularly while you age.*
- Vitamin E supports your heart and circulatory system. By minimizing the oxidation of circulating LDL cholesterol (the bad one), it allows this cholesterol to move smoothly around your bloodstream to where it's needed.
- Several clinical studies have also linked it to protecting your brain and nervous system.*3
Finally - as an added bonus - the naturally occurring vitamin E in ratfish liver oil protects the oil from going rancid.
Ratfish Liver Oil has vitamin A and vitamin D
Like cod liver oil, ratfish liver oil gives you a natural source for vitamins A and D.
This is important, because while lots of "experts" look at vitamins in isolation, evidence shows that these two vitamins work in tandem. Both of these vitamins are essential for immune health, proper gene functioning and healthy cell reproduction.
- Vitamin A is critical for keeping your eyes sharp and keeping your nerves working well.*4
When it comes to vitamin D, this hormone-vitamin works throughout your body:
- Supporting healthy bone growth and strong muscles,
- Helping regulate your immune system and
- Supporting heart health.*5
The vitamin A in ratfish oil is in the active, retinol form. The vitamin D is cholecalciferol or vitamin D3, the most bioavailable form.
A full spectrum of healthy fats, the way nature intended!
As a whole oil in its natural state, ratfish oil gives you a full spectrum of fats.*
One of these special fats is phytosterols, primarily campesterol6. Usually phytosterols are found in plants where they function similarly to how cholesterol works in our body. In our bodies, phytosterols seem to help you maintain healthy cholesterol levels. Research also suggests, phytosterols support immune health and keep inflammation in check.*
But ratfish liver oil doesn't stop with just this special fat. It contains a whopping 33 different fatty acids, including several omega-3s, omega-4s, omega-6s, omega-7s, omega-9s and omega-11 fatty acids in their naturally occurring form.*
Many fish oil manufacturers destroy the natural, health sustaining properties of their oils to isolate omega-3 fatty acids and increase their concentration. But Rosita keeps the oil as natural as possible. So you get the full spectrum of oils your body needs to do its complex work. This wide-ranging supply of fats also prevents your body from getting a skewed ratio of fatty acids that brings with it its own problems.
Ratfish Liver Oil is NOT skate liver oil!
Ratfish (Chimaera monstrosa) are not skates. They are distinct from skates, rays and sharks. In fact there is no other fish like it on the planet. It is the only species in the family of Chimaera. It is probably one of the oldest fish species alive today, with DNA found not only in sharks and fish but also in mammals.
Rosita Ratfish Liver Oil is a rare, hand-crafted, natural oil
Rosita Ratfish Liver Oil may seem expensive. But it's not easy to come by. Particularly in this raw and authentically-processed form.
For these reasons, our supply varies with the seasons and the harvest.
Furthermore, unlike most fish oil manufacturers, Rosita uses gentle, ancient techniques to extract the oil.
- By simply making modest shifts from the freezing, high-pressure environment of the ratfish to the slightly above freezing and lower pressure environment of our processing facility, Rosita encourages the liver cells to release the oils naturally.
- Once the oil is extracted, it is gently filtered. It's then cleansed of potential contaminants using a proprietary material gathered from the same ocean waters. This unique material acts like a magnet, holding onto heavy metals, PCBs and dioxin. These contaminants can then be easily removed from the oil with this unique cleansing material.
- To ensure further quality and to meet strict EU standards, each batch is tested twice by third party testers for contaminants.
- Finally, in their small facility on the grassy banks of Dønna, Norway, Rosita takes further precautions to safeguard the Ratfish Liver Oil from rancidity. They process the oil in a low-light, cool environment without any exposure to metal (as metal can accelerate oxidation). The ratfish oil's naturally high concentration of vitamin E further protects it from oxidation.* In a test conducted by the Institute of Aquaculture, ratfish liver oil tested at a .2% acidity, which ranks it with the highest quality extra virgin olive oils.7
There is no excessive heat. No chemicals. No bleaching or distillation. This oil is as close to how it is in the living fish as it could be.
A little goes a long way - and lasts a long time!
Ratfish Liver Oil makes a great addition to any whole foods diet. And thanks to its mild taste, it offers an alternative for people who have a hard time taking cod liver oil.
Please note, Ratfish Liver Oil is a very concentrated nutritional product. You only need up to 10-12 drops a day. And because of its high concentration of vitamin E, it's protected against rancidity. We recommend you keep it refrigerated and use each opened bottle within a year.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your physician before using Rosita Ratfish Oil.